Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Fear

I figured I'd start my first blog post on the topic that everyone of us experiences at some point in our lives—that I am experiencing right now as I craft my very first entry into a world of blogging that I know so little about.

But, what do I know about fear, you ask?

In truth, I know little more than the next guy about the neurology behind fear; what I know of the treacherous emotion is that which I have experienced. I'm an aspiring author—someone who has worked day after day, slaving away at perfecting my words on the page, chasing the ever-elusive art of writing.

In no way to do I claim to be an expert, or an old and wise soul, but it's something I grapple with daily, as everyone does.

And I think the more I struggle with it, the more I spend time wondering about the future, about writing, about my dreams and how possible they are, I've decided that it is one of the most debilitating emotions.

It tugs at the heart, eats at the mind and taints the soul. I've heard story after story from friends, family members, or someone with an online presence where pure penitence laces the words as they speak of something they let go due to fear.

The older I get, the more I have to make decisions about the future, the more this feeling seems to affect me, and it dawned on me the other day that the very reason I can't stop thinking about fear instilling loss is fear itself; I am afraid to let fear govern my life and my decisions.

It's ironic, I know, yet there I sat, basking in fear at the concept. So what did I do?

I used it.

Yes, fear is pesky, devitalizing, and prostrate. But at the same time, it can be the most useful tool of any, the very sustenance one needs to finish their project, or run that final stretch, for fear makes manics of us all.

Once you can take a step back from the emotion, really examine what you're afraid of, evaluate the pros and the cons, fear can be your greatest weapon.

I know it sounds far too pragmatic to be realistic. So here's what you should do: Take a few breaths. Maybe step away from whatever it is, be it a project, a job offer, a friend, the future. Try to stop thinking about it for a bit, give yourself some time, and then revisit it with a fresh lens. Maybe your fear will be gone, or maybe you'll be ready to confront it better.

This leads me to the next step: Confront the fear. Don't beat around the bush, don't pretend like you aren't afraid. Fear is human. Fear is good. Acknowledge it. Think about what might be causing it, then confront it. Walk yourself through it. Question if what the fear makes you think is rational, or if they are entirely contrived from that fear.

The moment that you acknowledge your fear is the moment you can begin to harnass it, and then use it.

What was once your what held back your pen is now the very ink that you write with. So fight the fear. Use it. Damn it to hell. No matter what, just don't put down that pen.

No comments:

Post a Comment